Ian Catling is a transport and information technology consultant with over 35 years’ professional experience in Government, academic research, the computer services industry and consultancy.
Since establishing the Ian Catling Consultancy (ICC) in 1983 he has become recognised worldwide as an expert in the Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS). He has two key areas of ITS experience: the first is travel information systems, in whose development and implementation he played a vital role; the second is the development and application of systems for electronic fee collection (EFC), concentrating on those relating to road user charging (RUC) or electronic road pricing (ERP) and on Electronic Toll Collection (ETC). He has played a particularly active role in the development of such systems using “tag and beacon” Dedicated Short-Range Communication (DSRC), using satellite positioning and cellular communication, and using Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR).
He is an experienced project manager and has directed ITS technology trials, studies and implementations in three continents.
- ITS specifications
- ITS research and development
- Project management
- Studies of ITS costs and benefits
- Standards issues
- Advice on ITS policy
- Road User Charging issues
- convenor of the ISO/CEN group which has developed draft standards for EFC based on Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS),
- leader of the Expert Group on GNSS-based EFC for the European Commission.
- Ian was awarded the 2011 Rees-Hill prize for outstanding achievement in ITS.
Expert Group on satellite-based charging.
Ian Catling Consultancy
Ash Meadow, Bridge Way, Chipstead CR5 3PX
Tel: 01737 552225 / Fax: 01737 556669 / Mobile: 07740 721494