Jennifer is an independent consultant, focussing on the development of user requirements and the evaluation of projects, as well as routine project monitoring.
Since 1997 she has contributed to EC funded and UK publicly and privately funded transport research, European Commission project proposal evaluation and reviewed on-going projects. This work requires strong analytical skills and attention to detail in the writing, proofreading and editing of reports.
Jennifer has specialised in the development of Demand Responsive Transport (DRT) services, eco-driving, seamless transport provision and collaborative mobility. She read Geography at Newcastle University, leading to a PhD analysing rural-urban atmospheric pollution.
- Proofreading, editing and formatting technical documents, books, scientific papers, website content and presentations. Substantial experience working with non-native English speakers.
- Designing and conducting end user requirements and project evaluation, including surveys, questionnaires and focus groups.
- Rapporteur for working sessions, focus groups and for combining technical documents.
- Independent advice concerning the content of proposed projects seeking financial support.
- Areas of interest: public transport, particularly flexible/Demand Responsive Transport and community transport services; tools to promote green, safe and efficient driving; the challenges of achieving effective integrated multimodal travel (including Mobility as a Service), for all rural and urban end user segments, at the local, national and European levels.
- Contributed to transport research at local, regional, national and European levels, supported by funding from local authorities and independent companies (14 projects), UK Research Councils (5 projects) and the European Commission (11 projects). Her work focussed on user requirements, evaluation and proofreading project output.
- Contributed to over 100 contract reports and papers in journals, at conferences or in books.
- Independent referee for the Leverhulme Trust.
- Invited reviewer for the National Institute for Health Research programme and Journal of Transport Geography.
- Appointed adviser to the Commission for Integrated Transport’s study on Demand Responsive Transport in Rural Transport.
- Assisted with the first registration of a DRT service with the Traffic Commissioner.
- Co-investigator (best practices and evaluation) in SUNRISE [Social cohesion in UrbaN / ruRal areas based on Innovative and Sustainable collective mobility servicEs] (2004-06), selected as an exemplar INTERREG IIIC project.
- M.Sc. module leader ‘Characteristics of Public Transport Systems’, Newcastle University (2008-10).
- Independent expert for the European Commission Framework Programmes, acting as an evaluator of project proposals, and a rapporteur and technical quality controller of evaluation reports (2007 – present): FP7 [Information Society and Media; ICT for Transport; Communications Networks, Content and Technology, Smart Cities and Sustainability; Trans-European Transport Network] and Horizon 2020 [Mobility for Growth (Automated Transport and Green Vehicles); Connecting Europe Facility (Transport Blending)].
- Reviewer, monitoring the implementation of projects supported by the EC’s FP7 and Horizon 2020 Framework Programmes (2011 – present).
- Proofreading: Cliquet, R and Avramov, D (2017) Evolution Science and Ethics in the Third Millennium.
- Proofreading: DOROTHY project (2016) Joint Action Plan: Development of Regional Clusters for Research and Implementation of Environmentally Friendly Urban Logistics and ITS.
Jennifer Brake. B.Sc (Hons), Ph.D, PGCE
Parc Grove, Llidiart-y-Parc, Corwen, Denbighshire, LL21 9EL
Tel: +44 (0) 1490 430 880 / Mobile: +44 (0) 7764 251 393