Kit Mitchell was at RRL/TRRL/Transport Research Laboratory 1970 to 1994. He helped London Country Buses introduce the first large dial-a-bus system in Britain in Harlow in 1974, then became Head of Access and Mobility Division in 1975. He moved to Head of Environment Division in 1981, retiring in 1994. From 1981 he was also in charge of TRRL research on transport for people with disabilities.
Since retiring he worked for Transport Canada 1996-97 as a Visiting Expert on the impacts of ITS on older and disabled travellers and was co-Chair of the US Transportation Research Board Committee on Accessible Transportation and Mobility 2003 to 2009; he is an Emeritus Member of TRB. He has done a variety of consultancy projects which include building a statistical database for IAM and helping write a series of Great British Motorist reports, forecasting road casualties for Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety, contributing to a UNDP project in Penang Malaysia to improve public transport for older and disabled people and since 2014 has provided scientific evidence to support the Road Safety Foundation’s Older Driver Task Force.
- Advice and scientific evidence on the safety and mobility of older drivers, and more general statistical data on road safety;
- Advice accessible transport;
- Advice on improving the sustainability of surface transport.
- Leader of the Working Group that provided scientific evidence to the Road Safety Foundation’s Older Driver Task Force 2015-17. Ongoing lecturer on older driver issues.
- Production (with Allsop) of a projection of road traffic casualties for the Parliamentary Advisory Council on Transport Safety 2014.
- Consultant to the UNDP project to improve the accessibility of public transport for older and disabled passengers in Penang State, Malaysia 2008-10.
- Statistical support for the Institute of Advanced Motorists ‘Great British Motorist’ publications, including the development of a data base of transport statistics 2007-13.
C. G. B. (Kit) Mitchell MA PhD CEng FCIHT FCILT FRAeS
17 Tavistock Road, Fleet, Hampshire GU51 4EH
Tel: +44 (0)1252 617621 / Mobile: 0779 057 0771